What is Piles ?
Piles are swollen bunch of blood vessels that are found in the Anal Canal. The veins in the anus are coushions which help in smooth defecation. These get irritated due to the bowel movement and prolapse slowly. Piles can vary in size.
Types of Hemorrhoid disease : Internal, External and Prolapsed
- Internal hemorrhoids are inside the anal canal and rectum and don't hurt much
- External hemorrhoids are on the outer part of the anus and can be painful.
- Prolapsed hemorrhoids can grow and bulge outside your anus. They can be pushed back.
Severe ones prolapse permanently and cannot be pushed back and need surgery.
What are the Piles Symptoms?
In majority of the cases, piles are not serious and go away on their own after a few days. The symptoms of piles depend on the type, location, severity and age of the patient. If you have piles, you will experience the following symptoms.
· Eating a Low fiber Diet
· Chronic Constipation
· Coughing & Vomiting
· Pregnancy induced hormonal changes
· Ageing, Hereditary Factors, Bowel disorders
· Prolonged periods of standing or sitting
· Obesity, General weakness of the body tissues
· Mental tension
· Dysentery, Strenuous physical exercise
· Prostate problems in older men
· Excessive straining during bowel movements
· Chronic diarrhea
· Cancer or growth in pelvis or bowel region that puts pressure on abdomen
Causes for Piles
Hemorrhoids are caused by increased pressure in the small blood vessels lining the rectum & anus. Piles increase in size & start showing the symptoms. Pressure & stress on the veins is caused by
· After going to the toilet, a feeling that the bowels are still full
· Bright red blood after a bowel movement
· Itchiness around the anus
· Slimy Mucus discharge when emptying the bowels
· Pain & discomfort while defecating
· Area around the anus may be red and sore
· Lump on the anus
· Soiled undergarments
· Swelling protruding from the anus
· Frequent urge to pass stools
· Loss of appetite
· Yellowish face, due to extensive bleeding
· Heaviness at anus opening
Treatment Options - Piles Laser Treatment or Piles Surgery?
Treatment for piles is required when they become Enlarged, Causing Discomfort, painful and are not easily managed. There are different types of treatments which are done for alleviating the pain and discomfort caused by piles. Common Methods of treatment via surgery are Injection or Sclerotherapy, Banding, Ligation, Cauterization or Coagulation and Surgery Depending on their size and severity, piles are graded into Grade I to Grade IV.
· Grade I requires only Medication
· Grade II Nonsurgical management with IRC (Infra-Red Coagulation) and ultroid both are USFDA approved daycare walk-in and walkout procedure pain less and needs multiple sittings.
· Grade III & IV Surgical treatment is a best technique as it makes piles disappear. Day care procedure done under anesthesia and with practically no recurrence or loss of control over defecation.
The type of surgery that your doctor recommends for you will depend on the severity of your condition. Your doctor will explain the risks of the procedure to you and the symptom relief you can expect. Considering the highly sensitive location of the wounds after surgery, a hospital stay of 3-4 days may be recommended along with a four week off from work. The fear of extreme post op discomfort causes many patients to live with piles rather than get them treated.
Is there a faster and less discomforting treatment? Keeping Patients Safety First, Treat Piles Clinic offers Safe and faster treatments which give effective relief for all types of hemorrhoids. One of the most effective and virtually pain-free treatments for painful piles is the Hemorrhoidal Artery Ligation and Recto Anal Repair Systems (HAL-RAR) Hemorrhoidal Artery Ligation and Recto Anal Repair Systems (HAL-RAR) A Day Care procedure, HAL-RAR is a minimally invasive technique that has been used to treat thousands of patients suffering from piles. The results have been excellent with long lasting cures.
· - HAL Treatment is used for bleeding, itching & pain due to piles.
· - RAR Treatment is given for prolapsed piles.
· FILAC – Laser Ablation of large pile mass makes surgical result more excellent.
How is good for the patient?
· - Treatments give minimal pain
· - Quick Recovery is seen
The procedure of HAL-RAR can also be modified and tailored to suit the treatment for the conditions of specific patients. Other treatments include Eating plenty of fiber, drinking lots of water, taking fiber supplements, avoid painkiller than contain codeine and Bathroom visits as soon as you feel the need.